West Coast version of LonelyCache?

What are the things you would like to see in LonelyCache?

West Coast version of LonelyCache?

Postby ktTris » December 24th, 2016, 1:50 pm

I'm thinking about lonely cache points in Oregon since I'll be moving there in February. What would it take to make a west coast version of LonelyCache? Would that be easier than adding more states to LonelyCache?
If LonelyCache does keep expanding, would it be possible to add leaderboards for groupings of states? For example, 4 corners, PNW, Id-Mt-Wyo, NV-Calif?
ktTris
Benefactor

Re: West Coast version of LonelyCache?

Postby Corfman Clan » December 26th, 2016, 6:32 pm

Adding Washington, Oregon, and the rest of California would be the natural progression for expanding LonelyCache. I actually checked the other day what it would take to add California, Oregon, and Washington. Without detailing the numbers, it would essentially double the size of LonelyCache.

I don't believe doubling the current LonelyCache is viable. I am already seeing some conflicts in its normal processing due to its current size. I think it's manageable now but probably not with any more expansion.

The route of creating a separate, Western LonelyCache would, resource wise, probably be easier as we know the current design is viable and it could be replicated with minor work. I've had a request for an Atlantic Area LonelyCache too which would be similar. At this time, I don't foresee doing this either. More premium accounts would be needed for each "LonelyCache." There would also be the initial staging for each. Any updates to LonelyCache would also be more complicated to deploy.

The idea of another type of region does have merit with further expansion. Currently the types of region are LonelyCache Wide, States, Counties, and DGP Regions. It would be worth adding some sort of Multi-State region type.

All that being said, I don't foresee expanding LonelyCache, nor creating additional regional LonelyCache sites any time soon. I really would like to, but I think it best not to now. At this time, I am monitoring how the current expansion into Idaho is going, and will hopefully be able to improve some current size/resource issues I am seeing, especially with contention for reading and writing to the Log table (used to store the 20 million or so find logs).
Corfman Clan
Global Moderator

Postby Corfman Clan » December 26th, 2016, 6:36 pm

ktTris wrote:I'm thinking about lonely cache points in Oregon since I'll be moving there in February.

I wish you the best in your move to Oregon. I've made several trips to Oregon and have a lot of fond memories from there. I was temporarily located in Salem for 6 months too. The no sales tax is nice and you don't have to pump your gas either. Will you still be working for the forest service?
Corfman Clan
Global Moderator

Postby ktTris » December 27th, 2016, 7:37 pm

Russell, yes, I got a promotion. I grew up in Oregon and my sister lives in Eugene. I like the landscapes better in Arizona and Colorado so I doubt I will retire in Oregon.
ktTris
Benefactor

Postby ktTris » December 27th, 2016, 7:42 pm

I meant, I doubt I will stay in Oregon after I retire. I'm only a couple years from retirement.
ktTris
Benefactor

Return to Wish List